Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Would a masters degree in loss prevention allow me to gain employment as a loss prevention manager or better


Would a masters degree in loss prevention allow me to gain employment as a loss prevention manager or better?
First let me tell you all about my background. I have 4 years of service in the US Army and I am currently serving in the Air National Guard. I have graduated from college with a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. I then worked 6 months as a shift supervisor at a CVS drug store which is the extent of my retail experience. I also have experience in law enforcement as a police officer (which was not a good fit for me or my family) and I am currently working as a probation and parole officer (much better fit) while serving in the Air National Guard. This is the problem. My family is a one income home and money is rather tight. I am not making the income that I feel I need to make as a probation and parole officer ($30,000.00 a year). I have heard others say that there is good money in loss prevention, but please understand I am not talking about being a store detective/investigator. I am refering to a position as a loss prevention manager at the store level, district level, or regional level. I am planning to use some extra college money I have coming to me from the military to earn a masters degree in loss prevention. Here is the main question. If I was to get a masters degree in loss prevention, would I be able to gain employment in loss prevention management at the store level or better without starting in an entry level position such as a loss prevention store detective/investigator???? I could not afford to make less than what I make now. What is the salary like in these positions? I know I have only had 6 months in retail as a shift supervisor, but I think my time as a police officer and especially my time as a probation and parole officer has given me the opportunity to look into the criminal mind which might help me with employment. Any advice about employment in loss prevention with a masters degree a masters degree, gaining employment in management, and anything else related to this would be appreciated. Please help me out. Have a good one.
Other - Careers & Employment - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I manage a store for a leading drugstore chain in America and I can tell you that the district loss prevention supervisors make probably about 40-45k give or take. It certainly isn't a bad job to have, as you get a company car, and they don't seem to have too difficult of a workload. Then, of course, you can move up to corporate level, but obviously the higher you get, the narrower the funnel gets and more and more people are competing for less slots. Good luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment